主题

帖子

1万

积分

MJJCN参议员

积分

特别贡献奖

发表于 2008-2-11 21:29:38 | 显示全部楼层
以往我和AMG的感想大部分还蛮一致的 只是有些我特别欣赏的专辑作品他给很低就.. 算了XD 这次周年专辑权威给的评价都挺高的~ 虽然有被惊喜到 不过给再低也奇怪啦~ 所以~~~很期待拿到专辑好好来听啰!!! [ 本帖最后由 dalehsiang 于 2008-2-17 06:43 编辑 ]

主题

帖子

1万

积分

王者传奇

积分
发表于 2008-2-12 19:47:19 | 显示全部楼层
混音别的挺好 就是BJ 太慢了 听了觉得不舒服

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-12 19:47:57 | 显示全部楼层
Jackson hit a trip down memory lane By Rashod D. Ollison |Sun Pop Music Critic February 12, 2008I was cool just for a day. Any other time, my classmates, most of whom were suburban white kids, ignored me. But on that spring day in second grade when I brought in Michael Jackson's Thriller LP for show-and-tell, seemingly everybody in class wanted to be my best friend. Some gladly sat near me at lunch and invited me to play at recess, which had never happened before. Even as I waited for the school bus that morning, standing alongside the potty-mouthed brats who lived in the projects with me, I was king. "Look! He got Thriller!" At the time of my show-and-tell, Thriller had been a monster album on the pop charts for more than a year, spending 37 weeks at No. 1. For a solid two years after its 1982 release, singles from the album, seven of which were Top 10 smashes, dominated radio. In front of the class, I showed off the LP's gatefold picture, which featured Jackson reclining in a sharp ivory suit, a tiger cub resting on his knee. "Oohs" and "aahs" rippled through the class. Then Mrs. Mathis, my teacher, put the record on, and the room briefly turned into a grade-school disco. After that day, of course, I went back to being the invisible black boy who sat near the back of the class and hardly said a word. Thriller brought a lot of happiness to the Ollison household between 1982 and 1984. Even outside our apartment, I heard cuts from the album around the clock: blaring in the park down the street during summer night jams, booming from a neighbor's window, piping through the sound system at K-Mart. The vivacious beats and Jackson's spirited, idiosyncratic vocals made Thriller a revelation every time the needle dropped on the record. In a way, the album was therapeutic for me. The year after it hit the streets and Jackson debuted the moonwalk on Motown 25, my parents bitterly divorced. I was crushed and missed my father, especially our weekend trips to the record shops in downtown Hot Springs, Ark., where I spent my first 11 years. Mama knew music was important to me even then. And after she came home with Thriller tucked under her arm, the exuberant music helped lighten my often somber mood. It was the only record in my collection - which mostly consisted of Daddy's hand-me-down blues, funk and soul 45s - that my hip eldest sister liked. Dusa, who was eight years older than me, usually went out of her way to treat me like a filthy wad of gum stuck to the bottom of her shoe. But when she wanted to hear my Thriller album, her voice turned to honey, and she'd almost croon her request: "Little brother, let me play that Michael Jackson album. Please?" Because my family moved often, a lot of things - photos, clothes, various toys and trinkets - were lost, thrown away or broken. During a move in the summer of '87, my Thriller LP was somehow nearly cracked in half. I was furious; tears even burned my eyes. "Shut up!" Dusa shouted. "Don't nobody care about Michael Jackson no more." By that time, the public had had its fill of Thriller, and Jackson was about to release Bad, a moodier album that didn't quite match the infectious glory of its predecessor. Popular tastes were moving toward more aggressive sounds. Hip-hop was beginning to edge its way into the mainstream. Years later, I replaced my Thriller LP with a clearer sounding CD version. I still put it on from time to time, and always remember that spring day when Thriller made me cool, and when musically, Michael Jackson ruled the world. Source: http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,2326314.story 25 years later, Jackson's 'Thriller' remains the one to beat By Steve Jones, USA TODAY Michael Jackson thrilled the world 25 years ago with Thriller, and he's ready to do it again, this time with help from some friends. He celebrates the lasting success of his masterpiece with the release today of Thriller 25, an expanded anniversary version of the nine-song original that includes seven bonus tracks. Among them: remakes featuring collaborations with Akon, will.i.am and Fergie, and updated vocals and production by Jackson. Kanye West contributes a remix, Billie Jean 2008. The set closes with For All Time, a song recorded but not finished during the 1982 Thriller sessions. Also included is a bonus DVD with the Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean videos and Jackson's Emmy-nominated performance of Billie Jean from the NBC special Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever. The set comes in three versions: one with original cover art, one with a new "zombie" cover and a deluxe edition with a booklet. Thriller sold more than 27 million copies in the USA, and Jackson earned a record-setting eight Grammys and 12 nominations in 1984. The album transformed pop music with its groundbreaking videos and an unprecedented seven top 10 singles. Producer Quincy Jones says he's amazed the songs are still club staples. "I'm astounded by it," Jones says. "I just went around the world — Cambodia, China, Brazil, Africa — and at (midnight), they're playing Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' or Billie Jean. It blows my mind that a record stands up that long." Fledgling MTV, which until Thriller hadn't played videos by black artists, took off once Billie Jean and Beat It hit the airwaves. "Michael and MTV rode each other to glory," Jones says. Then came the 14-minute Thriller video. "That defined the standards for video." Will.i.am, who produced new versions of Beat It, The Girl Is Mine and P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing), says the album inspired him as a youngster. "It was the first time you saw things that were happening in the ghettos, and kids in the suburbs were copying it," he says. "It was like Broadway fused with street performance, and his wardrobe was fly. He made it possible to be yourself, and be free, and just do you." The new album is part of a year-long celebration. Legacy Recordings today launches a 40-episode Thrillercast podcast available through iTunes, Zune, RSS and michaeljackson.com, featuring celebrities talking about hearing the original album. Also, XM Satellite Radio will launch a new channel, XM Thriller, dedicated to Jackson's music, which airs in March. Source: USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ler-25th_N.htm 25 'Thriller' facts By Patrick Day and Todd Martens, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers February 12, 2008 "Thriller," the biggest-selling album ever, wasn't the only Michael Jackson work released in November 1982. A few weeks before it was set to hit stores, MCA Records released an album of Jackson reading the story of "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" and performing the original song "Someone in the Dark." The album promotion, which featured posters of Jackson and E.T. looking very friendly, angered CBS Records, which felt it was stealing the thunder from "Thriller." Lawsuits ensued. Both albums ended up winning Grammys the following year. "Thriller's" phenomenal success led to a breaking down of traditional racial barriers on FM radio at the time. New York's WPLJ, a "white" station, played Jackson's "Beat It" because of Eddie Van Halen's appearance on it. The song caused a wave of protests from some listeners who didn't want "black" music on their station. MTV also had a reputation for favoring white performers at the time, and its heavy rotation of Jackson videos helped alleviate the criticism. The music video of "Thriller" played in a Westwood theater for one week in 1983 to qualify for an Oscar nomination. It opened for Disney's "Fantasia," much to the dismay of unsuspecting parents. After the success of the "Thriller" video, a Hollywood production company began serious work on turning "Billie Jean" into a feature film. (In 1985, Helen Slater starred in the teenage drama "The Legend of Billie Jean," although there is no connection.) In 1984, the National Coalition on Television Violence classified more than half of 200 MTV videos surveyed as too violent, including the videos for Jackson's "Thriller" and "Say, Say, Say." Dr. Thomas Radecki, chairman of the coalition, was quoted as saying, "It's not hard to imagine young viewers after seeing 'Thriller' saying, 'Gee, if Michael Jackson can terrorize his girlfriend, why can't I do it too?' " Brooke Shields was Jackson's date to the 1984 Grammys, when he won eight awards. "Thriller" video makeup artist Rick Baker already had an Oscar on his resume. He won the award for best makeup in 1981 -- the first time the award was handed out -- for his work on "An American Werewolf in London." Baker actually appears in the video: He's the zombie seen stumbling out of the mausoleum. Dance choreographer Michael Peters also had a role as a zombie in "Thriller," and shared a Tony Award with Michael Bennett for his choreography work on Broadway's "Dreamgirls." Before his death in 1994, he was an advocate of adding a choreography category to the Academy Awards. Jackson's girlfriend in the video, Ola Ray, was Playboy magazine's Miss June in 1980, telling the publication that her favorite entertainers were "Michael Jackson, Donna Summer, Ben Vereen, Emry Thomas." She also listed her turn-ons as "music, men, dancing and romancing, health and nature" and turnoffs as "waiting for something that never comes." Just as Van Halen's guitar solo begins in "Beat It," there's a noise that sounds like someone knocking on a door. According to rock 'n' roll myth, the knock is someone walking into Van Halen's studio. Another story claims it's simply the sound of Van Halen knocking on his own guitar. "Thriller's" opening cut, "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," is also the longest track on the album, clocking in at over six minutes. The radio version, however, is about two minutes shorter. The movie theater seen in the beginning of the video was also seen in director John Landis' "The Kentucky Fried Movie." The posters seen in the theater are for the movie "Schlock," also directed by Landis. Jackson's disclaimer at the beginning of the video, in which he discounts any belief in the occult, was prompted by his status as a Jehovah's Witness at the time. The 1988 movie "Return of the Living Dead Part II" features a zombie dressed as Michael Jackson. Forrest J. Ackerman, creator of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, can be seen sitting behind Jackson in the theater at the beginning of the video. The video that popularized Jackson's "Moonwalk," 1983's "Billie Jean," was directed by Steve Barron, but it may not be the clip he's best known for. That would be the live-action comic book treatment he gave to A-ha's "Take on Me." The song "Thriller" was originally titled "Starlight." Producer Quincy Jones wanted "Billie Jean" to be titled "Not My Lover," so people wouldn't think the song was about Billie Jean King. During the "Thriller" era, Jackson's plastic surgery became noticeable. His face changed from the time the photo was taken for the album cover to the filming of the "Thriller" video. Real gang members were brought it to be extras in the "Beat It" video. Although "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' " was one of the biggest singles off "Thriller," no video was ever made for the song. The man who wrote the song "Thriller," Rod Temperton, also wrote songs for Boyz II Men, Herbie Hancock, Karen Carpenter and Michael McDonald. The "Thriller" album has sold more than 104 million copies. At the height of the song's popularity, MTV would run the 14-minute "Thriller" video twice an hour. Source: LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ck=2&cset=true

主题

帖子

2万

积分

超级版主

Vam-Wolf

积分
发表于 2008-2-13 00:10:04 | 显示全部楼层
看到最后一条,我想到了nokia那条广告语:“每眨一下眼睛,世界上就卖出三部nokia手机。”
PUSSY IS DA BOMB!!!

主题

帖子

2万

积分

王者传奇

积分
发表于 2008-2-13 00:50:27 | 显示全部楼层
还好吧!!!!!!!!!

主题

帖子

5万

积分

圣殿骑士

穿上玻璃鞋,就得到了幸福

积分
QQ
发表于 2008-2-13 00:54:22 | 显示全部楼层
好象一个字都看不懂~~

主题

帖子

1万

积分

MJJCN参议员

积分

特别贡献奖

发表于 2008-2-13 07:58:14 | 显示全部楼层

Access Atlanta

Michael Jackson: 'Thriller — 25th Anniversary Edition' Album reasserts King of Pop's reign Published on: 02/12/2008 POP "Thriller — 25th Anniversary Edition" Michael Jackson. Epic/Legacy. 16 tracks plus bonus DVD. Grade: A- Before the freak show, the llamas, his life on Neverland, the cosmetic surgery, the vitiligo, the tabloid-topping brief marriage to Lisa Marie Presley, the infamous sleepovers, the litigation and all the rest that accompanied his career decline, Michael Jackson was once the biggest star on the planet. There's a generation that may not believe that, but the facts are all there, and the music that he once made is being brought back to prominence with this 25th anniversary edition of "Thriller," the biggest-selling album in the history of the world (27 million copies in the United States alone). It's a jacked-up double disc re-issue complete with several new remixes by A-list collaborators and a DVD featuring videos from the album. Yes "Thriller" is not necessarily Jackson's best solo album. "Off The Wall," which was released in 1979, still sounds fresher, more exhilarating and less contrived. Still, there's no denying the mastery of the Quincy Jones-produced "Thriller," and beyond the aforementioned hits, others like Jackson's duet with Paul McCartney on the light pop of "The Girl is Mine," or the scintillating rhythms of the album-opening "Wanna Be Startin' Something," or the flat out funky "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" all contributed to the disc's astounding success. Bonus tracks include a blend of intriguing and mediocre remixes with the best being the collaboration with Akon on "Wanna Be Startin' Something 2008," as well as a fired up "Beat It 2008," with guest star Fergie. In what's triggered a mini-controversy among Beatles' fans, they canned McCartney's vocals out of the thumping, will.i.am 2008 remix of "The Girl is Mine," though as previously mentioned the full original version appears on the first half of the disc. Kanye West's 2008 mix of "Beat It" is useless compared with the original, but it is nice to have the unreleased ballad "For All Time," included here among the bonus material. The accompanying DVD is highlighted by the original music videos for "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and "Thriller," as well as Jackson's unforgettable performance of "Billie Jean" from NBC's 1983 TV special "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, and Forever." This isn't likely to spark any major career renaissance, but it may at least briefly put some well-deserved focus on the amazing music the man made. — Kevin O'Hare, Newhouse News Service http://www.accessatlanta.com/music/content/music/cds/stories/2008/02/11/cds_0212.html 嗯...有就贴吗 还是要过滤些? ~"~

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-13 08:17:02 | 显示全部楼层
说得有道理的就贴 没水平的不贴

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-13 08:40:56 | 显示全部楼层
At 25, Jackson's 'Thriller' screams success Tuesday, February 12, 2008 BY JAY LUSTIG Star-Ledger Staff Reclining in a white suit, his handsome face turned directly toward the camera, Michael Jackson epitomized pop elegance on the cover of his "Thriller" album. The album was originally released in 1982, when he was 24 years old. For the 25th anniversary edition of "Thriller" -- released today, with the grandiose but factual subtitle "The World's Biggest Selling Album of All Time" -- Jackson uses a different picture. It's him, as seen in the video for the album's title track, in a garish red outfit, surrounded by ghouls. That pretty much sums up Jackson's story, over the last 25 years: Pop idol turns into freak show. If there is any project, though, that could momentarily make the tragedies of Jackson's personal and professional life seem irrelevant, it's this one. "Thriller" is, simply, a masterpiece -- an explosion of attitude ("Beat It," "Billie Jean"), killer dance grooves ("Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'") and adult-pop sophistication ("Human Nature," "Baby Be Mine"). "The Girl Is Mine," a duet with Paul McCartney, is an effortless charmer, while the title track, featuring horror-movie sound effects and a guest speech by horror king Vincent Price, frees Jackson's imagination, on record, as it had never been freed before. Since its release, "Thriller" has sold 104 million copies worldwide. The second album on the list, AC/DC's "Black in Black," comes in at less than half that amount (42 million). "Thriller 25," a CD/DVD package with a 48-page booklet, is a deluxe footnote. It earns a four-star rating simply because the original recordings are so brilliant. But it's also a missed opportunity. The DVD is essential to telling the album's story, as it offers the striking videos for "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and "Thriller," as well as Jackson's legendary moon-walking performance of "Billie Jean" on the 1983 television special, "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today and Forever." But remixes of five "Thriller" hits featuring Fergie, her Black Eyed Peas partner will.i.am, Kanye West and Akon are barely worth a listen. Akon fares best, adding some dreamy interludes to "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" without diluting the song's dance-floor appeal. West, one of the most ambitious figures in hip-hop, is strangely restrained on "Billie Jean," adding a plodding techno-pop beat and chiming in with occasional interjections ("Yeah, uh," "Yeah yeah yeah, number one") rather than an actual rap. "For All Time," an outtake from the original "Thriller" sessions, is included as well. It's a sweet, melodic ballad, and Jackson sings it with convincing emotion, even though the lyrics are the kind of thing you'd expect to find on a greeting card rather than the best-selling pop album of all time. "Maybe the walls will tumble/And the sun may refuse to shine/When I say I love you/Baby you gotta know, that's for all time," Jackson sings on the chorus. There is one final extra: Vincent Price in the studio, recording something that seems intended for promotional use. "Michael Jackson is the thriller. Can you dig it?," he intones. Then he laughs maniacally. The booklet includes a brief, bland message from Jackson, along with lyrics and credits, publicity photos, record sleeves for the album's singles, and lots of stills from the "Thriller" video. But there are no essays or comments from key contributors like producer Quincy Jones. Will there be a market for "Thriller 25"? Sure. If 104 million people bought the original, there could easily be a few million who will buy a new version, even if the extras are skimpy. But for those waiting for a sign that Jackson, now 49, is ready to resume his career in earnest and make sure that anything he releases is the best possible product ... well, keep waiting. Jay Lustig may be reached at jlustig@starledger.com or (973) 392-5850. http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ ... 63259540.xml&coll=1

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-13 08:47:15 | 显示全部楼层
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/5532784.html The king of pop is back 25th anniversary edition of Michael Jackson's Thriller out today By RASHOD D. OLLISON Baltimore Sun Although Michael Jackson's career as a hit-maker flat-lined years ago, Thriller, his crowning achievement and pop's biggest-selling album, lives again. An expanded 25th anniversary edition is in stores today. It includes a CD of the original nine-song album, pristinely remastered, with six new remixed songs by current pop stars will.i.am, Akon, Fergie and Kanye West. The album's groundbreaking music videos and Jackson's career-defining 1983 performance on the television special Motown 25: Yesterday, Today and Forever are on DVD. The discs are housed in an attractive casebook with 48 glossy pages of Thriller song lyrics and photos of Jackson before his skin turned alabaster and his face morphed into an expressionless mask. There are also several ghoulish shots from the awesome Thriller video. But ultimately, the 25th anniversary edition offers nothing fans haven't been able to obtain for years. And the new remixed tracks are hardly worth getting excited about, as the modern pop stars, especially will.i.am, muddle songs that have managed to stay fresh-sounding after all these years. Although the music is still vibrant, charged by Jackson's rhythmically expressive vocals, it's hard to detach the '80s from Thriller, especially if you were around then. The album encapsulates a long-gone era when everybody heard new music on the radio or saw breaking acts on this new thing called MTV. A skinny guy with a Jheri curl and a fresh nose job single-handedly brought black music back to the mainstream, polishing and fusing elements of styles that were in limbo during the late 1970s and early 80s. Glints of disco, R&B, new wave, punk and rock suffused Thriller, which CBS Records (now Sony-BMG) brilliantly mass-marketed. Jackson, who had been refined by the Motown machine during his years as a child star, became the era's most important artist. Thriller's iconic status has been well documented over the years. It remains pop's biggest-selling album with more than 100 million copies sold worldwide. It still sells about 60,000 copies a year. Everything about Thriller — Quincy Jones' surreal, stylish production; the videos with the Broadway-style choreography; the red leather jacket, glittery glove and socks Jackson sported — forever changed the sound and look of pop. Jackson's dynamic dance moves are imitated today by the likes of Usher, Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown. One of the most memorable commercials during Super Bowl Sunday earlier this month showed animated lizards in a SoBe Life Water ad, re-enacting the dance moves from the Thriller video. No other album released in the last 25 years has managed to be so musically transcendent, which makes the seemingly rushed execution of the expanded edition a bit disappointing. Given that so much of Jackson's music has been repackaged in just the last five years, maybe there was nothing else in the vaults to revisit. In 2001, the year Thriller turned 19, Sony released special editions of Jackson's four mega albums on Epic. Each disc included demos, outtakes and insightful interviews with key Jackson collaborators, including Jones and songwriter Rodney Temperton. Such bonuses would have been ideal for the 25th anniversary edition of Thriller, which doesn't even come with liner notes. The state-of-the-art-remastering job of the original album is nice, revealing just how intricately layered the production is. But previous digital versions of Thriller, which won a Grammy in 1983 for best-engineered nonclassical album, were fine. The new remixes do absolutely nothing to buttress the album's legacy. The retooled songs, especially The Girl Is Mine, by will.i.am, and Billie Jean, by West, are unimaginative with generic hip-hop beats and pointless rapping (that would be from will.i.am) added to Jones' superlative tracks. And Akon's slowed down version of Wanna Be Startin Somethin sounds as nasally and overly processed as any of his own hits. If anything, the reworked bonus cuts only reinforce what pop fans have known since 1982: Nobody can mess with Thriller.

主题

帖子

1万

积分

MJJCN参议员

积分

特别贡献奖

发表于 2008-2-14 09:40:29 | 显示全部楼层

PopMatters

Michael Jackson Thriller 25 (Epic/Legacy) US release date: 12 February 2008 UK release date: 11 February 2008 by Mike Joseph RATING: (9 - Very Nearly Perfect. A superlative example of music of any form, a pinnacle of an artist's achievement, and something that all music lovers should hear. ) I almost find it strange that I’m sitting here, figuring out how to write a review on Michael Jackson’s Thriller. This strange feeling is not just because I consider myself one of Michael’s “superfans” (I’ll spare you by not going into detail. Thank me later.), but, I also kind of assume that anyone reading this is already extremely familiar with both the album and the artist. Love him or hate him, Michael Joseph Jackson has been a key figure in the music industry for nearly 40 years now. Come to think of it, he might be more key now, past his commercial heyday, than he was a quarter century ago when Thriller topped the album charts for 37 weeks, on it’s way to becoming the best selling non-compilation album in history, a record that may not ever be broken, particularly if record sales continue to slide the way that they do. I was six when Thriller originally came out in 1982, and I can remember more incidental facts about the album than I can about the rest of my record collection combined. The first couple off the top of my head: The first music I ever received as a Christmas present was a 45 of “The Girl is Mine”. A couple months later, I remember coming home from the second grade and hearing “Baby Be Mine” coming out of my family’s stereo. I almost broke my neck running up the stairs to look at the album cover, and I remember oohing and aahing over the pics of Michael and the little baby tiger that adorned the album‘s gatefold sleeve. I distinctly remember the performance that solidified Michael as a legend-the performance of “Billie Jean” on Motown’s 25th Anniversary Special in May of 1983. My family had just gotten our first VCR the day the show aired, and I was promised that the show would be taped in the event that Michael and his brothers went on past my bedtime. I managed to con some of my younger aunts and uncles into keeping me awake, cloak and dagger style, so I could watch it right along with the millions of folks who saw the former cherubic child star dance his way into history in a performance that still stuns me although by now I’ve seen it hundreds if not thousands of times. I know for a fact that stories like these are pretty common among those who came of age in the midst of Michael-mania, and that is why this 25th anniversary reissue has to exist. It exists for each of the 26 million people who have bought this album (that doesn’t include used copies, bootlegs or dubs… so with that in mind, imagine how many people REALLY own Thriller). It exists for all the people who rocked red leather jackets, high water pants, a single white glove, and that greasy-ass Jheri curl back in the day. It exists for people who listen to Justin Timberlake, Usher, Omarion, Britney, Janet, Madonna and every other artist who has stolen a lick or a dance move from The King of Pop. It exists for the folks who don’t realize that two of the Top 20 songs on the recent Billboard Singles chart (Kanye West’s “Good Life” and Rihanna’s “Don’t Stop the Music”) both sample tracks from Thriller. It also exists as a reminder that before he became a Human Freak Show, Michael Jackson was America’s sweetheart, the boy next door, and he made some kick-ass tunes to boot. 1979’s Off the Wall might be the better overall album (and, seriously, we‘re almost splitting hairs when it comes to comparing the two), but Thriller was the album that seemed almost genetically engineered to be huge. Everything about it was big, from Michael and Quincy’s epic production to the tight dance grooves on tracks like “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” and “Billie Jean”. Listening to it in retrospect, it’s clear that Michael and Quincy had their ears attuned to Top 40 radio at the time. While some of the sources they borrowed from seem a bit more obvious in retrospect—listen to, respectively, Rick James’ “Give It to Me Baby”, Hall & Oates’ “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do) and The Dazz Band’s “Let It Whip”, and then listen to “Thriller”, “Billie Jean” and the intro to “Beat It”—no one was able to fuse everything together the way Thriller did. Michael stuck Eddie Van Halen’s screaming guitar on the same album with “The Lady in My Life”, a slow jam that wouldn’t sound out of place on a Teddy Pendergrass album, and made them BOTH work. And he made the hard-rock kids and the slow-jam folks like every second of all of it. It’s pop, rock, easy listening, soul, funk, disco and even a little bit hip-hop (it’s played for laughs, but Vincent Price IS rapping at the end of “Thriller”). Besides, any album good enough to make you forgive (although maybe not forget) a song as bad as the Paul McCartney duet “The Girl is Mine” has got to be DAMN good. The 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition is notable for featuring a couple of noble, if not always successful attempts to update the album’s sound for the 21st century, with a guest roster that includes Black Eyed Peas’ will.I.am and Fergie, Kanye West and Akon. The latter artist, who is of African descent, is actually an inspired choice for an update on “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’”, as sort of a nod of the head to the original song’s itchy groove and tribal chants (borrowed from Manu Dibango’s disco hit “Soul Makossa”). It also appears to be the only track for which Michael re-recorded his vocals. Will.I.Am puts a breezy spin on “The Girl is Mine” (now completely devoid of McCartney and not suffering a bit because of it) and “P.Y.T.” (in which Michael’s demo vocals, featuring completely different vocals and melodies) are fun. While none of the revisions hold a candle to the originals (except maybe for “The Girl is Mine”), they’re all pleasant with the exception of Kanye’s lazy remix of “Billie Jean”. You’ve been given the opportunity to remix the most iconic single from one of the most iconic albums of all time, and all you can do is stick a drum machine on top of the song’s original arrangement? Normally, I love Kanye, but this remix is a letdown. The one never-before-heard track, “For All Time”, is a decent sounding, atmospheric synth ballad that’s a bit reminiscent of “Human Nature”. The vocals on this one also sound significantly more like latter-day post-nose surgeries Michael as opposed to his higher-pitched vocals of the Thriller era. If you’ve never purchased an MJ DVD before, the one included in the Thriller 25 package contains all the Jackson footage you’ll need in a pinch-the still-riveting “Motown 25” performance, as well as the groundbreaking videos for “Billie Jean”, “Beat It” and the album’s title track. A quarter-century later, these videos still look innovative, a testament to Michael’s foresight when it came to using visuals to enhance the album-listening experience. Twenty-five years after Thriller‘s original release, amidst everything that’s gone on in Michael Jackson’s crazy, insane, screwed up life, this album still makes people smile, the grooves still make people dance, and the videos still make people stop and stare in awe. This, folks, is where the mere pop stars get separated from the legends. Times may change, music may change, but Thriller is one of those few iconic records whose influence seems to be prevalent no matter the climate. This re-issue just adds another chapter to the legacy. — 11 February 2008 http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/53802/michael-jackson-thriller-25/

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-15 22:39:20 | 显示全部楼层
http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...91&srvc=rss Thriller 25 (Epic/Legacy): A+ There are two reasons why it’s nearly impossible to believe Jackson’s “Thriller” was released 25 years ago. For one, those of us who grew up listening to the album don’t want to admit how long it’s been since we stared at pictures of MJ cuddling with a baby tiger. And second, a quarter-century later, the biggest selling album of all time is still arguably the best album of all time. Whatever personal problems have overshadowed Jackson’s career in recent years, “Thriller” is an undeniable testament to a musical genius that has yet to be matched. The album is still the creative equivalent of all the stars aligning - the musical parallel to what would have happened if the Patriots [team stats] had won the Super Bowl this year. No matter what angle you consider it from - sales, Grammy awards, artistic vision, pop culture - “Thriller” dominated. The anniversary edition’s packaging upgrade and bonus material will likely introduce a new generation of fans to its genius, while re-igniting memories for longtime fans who haven’t seen Jackson morph into a werewolf in two decades. . “Thriller 25” comes loaded with goodies: all of the original tracks, a decent unreleased track from the “Thriller” sessions (“For All Time”) and a DVD with three classic videos (“Thriller,” “Beat It” and “Billie Jean”) plus Michael’s unforgettable Motown 25 TV special performance of “Billie Jean.” There are also some reworkings for 2008, and those are the only hit-and-miss propositions involved. The desire to update songs for a new generation and reel in some big names in the process is understandable, but the execution is questionable at best. Offerings from will.i.am - “The Girl Is Mine 2008” and “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008” - both serve up interesting takes from a production standpoint, but fall light years from the tree in terms of the final result, especially when will.i.am brings his monotonous raps about “how cute you look in them jeans.” “Beat It 2008” with Fergie is a skeletal mishap; Akon’s “Wanna Be Startin Somethin’ ” is an all-around mess. The only song that succeeds in capturing the essence of the original while udpating it for a new audience is Kanye West’s brilliant “Billie Jean 2008.” Kanye layers shivering strings into the mix and reworks the beat in typically funk-savvy form, while limiting his vocals to a couple of brief shouts to let listeners know who’s behind the boards. In doing so, he proves he understands the most fundamental truth of “Thriller”: Michael got it right the first time. Grade: A+ for the original album and DVD; B- for the newly added tracks. Gloved One Memories By Tenley ‘P.Y.T.’ Woodman Monday, February 11, 2008 - Updated 11h ago http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...ticleid=1072894 Some childhood memories grow foggy with time, but the impact of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” cuts through the haze like a switchblade. When the title single was released in 1984, I was 4 years old - an impressionable child of the newfound MTV generation. The debut of the “Thriller” video was a family event, and Michael had me hypnotized with his slick moves and dancing zombie army. For my fifth birthday, I received my very own silver boombox and a cassette copy of the album. Little did my parents know what they had started. I went through at least five copies of the tape due to my incessant playing of “Billie Jean” and “Beat It.” My parents became experts at manually winding the tape back after I had mangled it from overuse. But it wasn’t enough for me just to listen or watch Jackson perform his hits. I, too, wanted to moonwalk, spin and lead a group of neighborhood toughs - or better, the undead - in an epic dance display. I held private recitals in the living room for my grandfather, who would patiently watch as I flailed my arms and legs to an abstract beat of my own creation. If I had only been a few years older perhaps my efforts would have mirrored Jennifer Garner’s “Thriller” dance scene in “13 Going on 30” or the Filipino inmates moving en masse on YouTube. As time went on, I just couldn’t shake my “Thriller” obsession. A grade school friend shared my love of Jackson’s macabre masterpiece, and we habitually watched a VHS tape of “Thriller” whenever we were together. By now my daily regime of “Thriller” has subsided. But, true confession, I still bust out a few joyful moves when one of those iconic songs is on the jukebox or played at a friend’s wedding. To this day, nothing compares to the magic of that album. After 25 years, “Thriller” is still thrilling.

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-16 09:35:07 | 显示全部楼层

Albums you should already have - Michael Jackson's 'HIStory'

Travis Reynolds

Issue date: 2/14/08 Section:
Occasionally, the Eastern Progress runs a review column on a new album, movie or video game. While it's always good to inform people about what's new and worth their attention, sometimes looking back can expose people to entertainment options they might have missed over the years. Welcome to this week in Albums You Should Already Have.

When talking about people who've made an impact on the music business, one can't deny the fact that Michael Jackson dominated his end of the musical spectrum at his peak. Sure, he's got a pretty nasty reputation at this point and may well be the most unintentionally creepy figure in modern music, but the fact that his greatest hits album HIStory sold over 15 million copies speaks for just how much longevity Jackson's music has.

The first disc of the two-disc set is pure gold, and a quick look down the track list might give die-hard music fans something to smile about. Many of the songs on the album were written by Jackson himself. Nowadays, it's considered a big deal when an artist writes his or her own music, and for good reason; hiring writers is the lazy and effective way to do it.

The first track on the album, Billie Jean, is one of the most powerful pop songs of its era. Long before statements of "you're my baby daddy" became common colloquialisms, the song touched on the fragile ground of dealing with siring an illegitimate child.

Of course the Jackson staples Bad and Beat It are present, as well as one of the most impactful songs in the history of music, the visionary Thriller. C'mon, we all know everything is better with Vincent Price involved.

The second disc opens up with Scream, a rare duet with the artist's sister, Janet Jackson. And of course, the world would not be the same place without Don't Stop ('till you get enough). The Rush Hour movies just wouldn't be the same without having that song for Chris Tucker to sing and dance to.

My only gripe with this album is that Smooth Criminal is nowhere to be found.

HIStory is an album spanning one of the most celebrated and reviled careers in music history, and even though Michael Jackson is something of a media joke now, there's no denying that he was once the King of Pop for good reason. His lyrics still speak to issues real people face, his music still works on the dance floor and the progressive thinking he showed in writing it keeps the album timely.

So if you like dance music, or just have a genuine appreciation for music in general, your collection sorely needs HIStory.

http://media.www.easternprogress.com/media/storage/paper419/news/2008/02/14/Features/Albums.You.Should.Already.Have.Michael.Jacksons.hi story-3207906.shtml

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-16 09:37:43 | 显示全部楼层
February 15, 2008 @ 5:10 pm The New Jackson Five: VIBE's Favorite Mike Jack Wannabes by: Tracy Garraud Look who’s trying to get a piece of that glove Take the glossed out jheri curls, high-pitched anthems, screeching fans in tears (and a few carried out on a gurney at shows in far away lands), and you got the cult of Michael Jackson. Twenty-five years ago, Thriller became crack for pop-loving 80s babies. Now those babies are grown, and many have went on to have their own successful career…with Jackson’s style smeared all over it. In celebration of this week’s reissue of Thriller, VIBE.com looks at our top five favorite ***** copycats. 5. Omarion Besides starting their careers before they reached Roller-coaster height, O and MJ have always placed special attention on their two-stepping tricks. To make up for callow vocals, Omarion relies heavily on impressive mini-Mike impersonations. However, while he breaks a sweat straining for the attention of an older audience, Michael transitions seamlessly within a fan base ranging from 6 to 60. Note to Omarion -- being just a PYT doesn’t always cut it. 4. Chris Brown Let’s be honest: Chris Brown is Michael Jackson on crack – a red-bulled, back-flipping, screen-cheesin’ Michael Jackson. From music videos to live performances, C. Breezy never fails to throw in a tribute to his idol. For a young’n in the game, it’s a smart move that’s done him well. All that’s left now is crossing the border of obsession to transgression. 3. Ne-Yo Three words: Because of You. The draping harmonies, the tilted fedora, the pelvic thrust, it’s blatantly clear who Ne-Yo’s main influence is. While others stick to pure imitation, Ne-Yo opts to explore the middle ground between himself and *****. The results have proven to be effective, separating Ne-Yo from the duplicators. When MJ’s requesting your contribution to his album, you know hours of perfecting Beat It adlibs has truly paid off. 2. Justin Timberlake Reppin’ the lighter side of MJ fever, Justin’s Future Sex/Love Sounds blessed him with six top twenty hits from a single album, a feat only achieved once by Jackson himself. With sweet soprano drawls and fancy fly footwork soaked with *****’s juice, Justin has led the most identical career to that of his inspiration. The former boy-band front man turned international sex god has showed no limits in his like for Mike. If MJ himself hasn’t noticed, Janet certainly has. 1. Usher As arguably the father of our generation's pop princes, it’s only right that Usher be deemed the son of King Jackson. With about 40 million albums sold worldwide, Ursh has successfully converted the hype of MJ fame into a grandiose self-made empire. During the Confessions craze of ‘04, some even double-dared to say that Usher had replaced Michael as the greatest entertainer of all time. With a collabo due out later this year, father and son will put history to the test and raise the bar of pop notoriety. Copy that. http://www.vibe.com/news/online_excl...kson_wannabes/
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入MJJCN

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|迈克尔杰克逊中文网(Michael Jackson Chinese Fanclub)[官方认证歌迷站] ( 桂ICP备18010620号-7 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 01:06