帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-9 16:46:08 | 显示全部楼层

泰晤士报

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/cd_reviews/article3327950.ece What would it have been - 30 million, 40 million sales? When exactly did it become obvious that Thriller would be one of those albums celebrated at every anniversary? It probably happened in 1984, when John Landis's video to the title track propelled it to a record-breaking 52 million sales. If the sight of an undead Jackson in prosthetics was unsettling, his fans couldn't have imagined how many more terrifying faces Jackson would go on to wear. Neither could they have imagined that they would grow up while their idol jammed his developmental gearstick into reverse. Indeed, although the story of pop in the 1980s has long since been rewritten by Smiths fans, the fact is that, for the vast majority of adolescents at this time, males didn't come more alpha than Michael Jackson. To a generation, Thriller's songs were utterly aspirational. If Michael had never seduced a girl, it didn't detract from, say, The Lady in My Life or Human Nature because neither had most of the people who played them while getting ready to go out on a Friday night. You suspect that if 21st-century teenagers listened to Thriller's soppier moments, they would be tickled by their quaint sentiments. Certainly, Jacko and the guesting Paul McCartney struggle to convince as two rutting stags locking antlers on The Girl is Mine. But, perhaps because it established the template of Justin Timberlake's solo career, Billie Jean still sounds stunning. That Jackson also wrote Beat It and Wanna Be Startin' Something sealed his status as pop god: the brilliantly bonkers lines “You're a buffet/ You're a vegetable/ And they eat off you” on the latter; and, on Beat It, the brittle production that Quincy Jones half-inched from the Knack's My Sharona. Further proof that genius steals comes with a title track whose synth intro was grafted on after Jones heard Prince's 1999. Presumably because you can't improve on perfection, that song hasn't been touched up for this reissue. Such a rationale, sadly, doesn't extend to the rest of Thriller. You'll want to hear the one rarity - a rerecorded For All Time, even if it's actually a passable Dangerous out-take. But a slew of star remixes range from the futile (Kanye West) to ego-primping folly. Whoever thought it would be a good idea for Black-Eyed Peas will.i.am metaphorically to dose up P.Y.T. and The Girl is Mine with “Jesus juice” ought to be locked in a windowless cell with nothing but those songs on a continuous loop. If the point was to illustrate how right Jackson and Quincy Jones got it the first time around, then job done. But chances are you were there the first time around - and, if so, you certainly won't need this. (Epic/Legacy)

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-9 16:46:43 | 显示全部楼层

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-9 16:47:31 | 显示全部楼层

权威ALL MUSIC网站

http://blog.allmusic.com/2008/2/ ... arter-century-mark/ The Funk of 25 Years: Thriller Hits The Quarter Century Mark February 8th, 2008 | 4:40 pm est | Stephen Thomas Erlewine The quarter-century mark carries weight for Thriller - not necessarily for the anniversary of the album’s release itself, although it offers as good an opportunity as ever to revisit one of the true pop phenomenons of the Twentieth Century, but rather for another anniversary: Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, and Forever, the television special where Michael Jackson performed “Billie Jean” and unleashed the moonwalk, sending Thriller into the stratosphere. For those that hadn’t paid attention to Off the Wall — and despite its success there were some, often older listeners that didn’t bother with discos — this performance was the unveiling of a marvelous, mature Jackson, a musician whose growth seemed sudden, swift, staggering. Maturity isn’t a word that was much associated with Jackson over the next 25 years. Not long after Thriller was logging its second year on the charts, well on its way to becoming the biggest album ever (a title it eventually lost to the Eagles Greatest Hits, which is merely a technicality; that was a catalog item, not a supernova that burned up the charts), Jackson methodically turned himself into a man-child, first through his public appearance - he was first seen with ET, then Emmanuel Lewis - and that antiseptic mass appeal crept into his music, so by the 10th Anniversary of Thriller, there was not much adult about his music. Because of this gradual morphing into something other, many listeners may have not listened to Michael Jackson or Thriller in years, maybe even two decades, so the album was given a much-hyped re-release in February 2008, with Epic/Legacy releasing Thriller: 25complete with bonus tracks, an extra DVD, several different editions with different covers, too. There was so much hype surrounding this reissue that it’s easy to overlook the fact that this is the second pumped-up reissue of Thriller within a decade. Six years earlier, Michael Jackson’s Epic catalog was refurbished to coincide with the release of Invincible, so the album was given a bunch of bonus tracks and a new cover — an outtake from the photo shoot that produced the gatefold pic of Jacko cuddling with a baby tiger, playing right into his frozen childhood - and it didn’t garner much attention, possibly because only two of the 12 bonus tracks were interesting (the rest were almost all interview snippets). Those two songs, “Someone in the Dark” and a demo of “Billie Jean,” are left behind on that issue and Thriller 25 likewise contains none of the assorted oddities and rarities MJ released during this era. Unlike the ‘01 reissue, this is not targeted to listeners who care about digging deep into the vaults, curious about how the album was made and what was left behind. No, Thriller 25 is for fans who want to take a trip back and for younger listeners that may have never heard the entire album before - and to rope the latter in, this reissue has five new remixes all featuring modern stars. That sounds more impressive on the surface than it actually is, as, for whatever reason, such Michael-mimicking superstars as Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown did not participate, but Kanye West, Akon, Fergie and will.i.am did. By and large these are outright embarrassments - only Akon has the guts to rework the original track, turning “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” into moody piano murk, so he gets credit for vision; it’s not great, but it is better than Fergie parroting the lyrics of “Beat It” back to a recorded Jackson, and it’s better than will.i.am turning “The Girl Is Mine” to a hapless dance number - but it’s also true that these artists can’t help but seem small when compared to Michael. Kanye is the closest of these four to having anything close to the musical and cultural impact in ‘08 as Jackson did in ‘82/’83 but even that is a bit of a reach, as Kanye isn’t nearly as close to being as omnipresent as Michael was at his peak. Of course, those were different times, as one listen to the proper album makes clear. Thriller built upon the disco breakthroughs of Off the Wall but was designed to crossover to all audiences: baby boomers (a duet with Paul McCartney on “The Girl Is Mine’), hard rockers (Eddie Van Halen’s guitar on “Beat It”), electro-funk (the paranoiac “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” the stark “Billie Jean”), modern R&B (the bright “Baby Be Mine”), quiet storm “(The Lady in My Life”), soft rockers (”Human Nature’) and kids (the cartoonish title track). That large streak of softness is often overlooked in memories about Thriller; it’s rightly overshadowed by “Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” and the visual extravaganzas of the video (all documented here on the DVD, with only the overcooked “Thriller” seeming old). But the genius of Thrilleris that Jackson, producer Quincy Jones and writer/arranger Rod Temperton made with LA studio pros (including many members of Toto, Greg Phillinganes and David Foster), so it has an alluring slickness placing it as firmly within pop as it is within R&B. Jackson, Jones and Temperton meticulously assembled these tracks, finding a balance where the tight grooves laid down by the studio musicians and the synth sequencing by Michael and Rod felt precise yet pulsated with a human heart. This polish helped bring Thriller to a mass audience who otherwise might have paid no attention. Once Thriller got their attention, it captivated because Jackson did everything and he made it seem so easy. Once his dazzle wore off, the songs stuck around because there were no weak tunes — even the weakest, the slow-burning closer “The Lady In My Life,” is a fine generic R&B ballad — and the best are eternal. Even so, classic pop can be overplayed and several of the Thriller signature hits no longer sound fresh — that creaky title track and the clenched posturing of “Beat It” are the worst offenders — but “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” and “Billie Jean” remain startling in their futuristic funk and “Baby Be Mine,” one of two songs not to be a hit single, sounds positively incandescent, perhaps because it isn’t as familiar, but more likely because it is a brilliantly crafted piece from Temperton. And, again, it’s that craft that impresses after all these years - it’s possible to hear past the myth, past the baggage that Jackson accumulated in the years since its release, and hear what he created on this singular sensation. It’s not necessary to purchase the 25th Anniversary reissue to appreciate this — for those that appreciate the craft behind the album, the only worthwhile extra is the perfectly fine unreleased ballad “For All Time” — but the set does have one trump card up its sleeve: the DVD has that performance of “Billie Jean” from Motown 25. It is the one thing on the set that comes close to capturing the excitement that Thriller generated upon its initial release - and since excitement was as necessary to Thriller’s success as the craft, such a jolt is needed for this, although it may not be quite enough of an enticement for millions of fans to purchase this album a second time.

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-9 16:48:26 | 显示全部楼层

Q杂志

主题

帖子

6万

积分

圣殿骑士

Purple Rain

积分
QQ
发表于 2008-2-9 16:56:32 | 显示全部楼层
我看不懂, 谁来翻译一下, 谢谢。
http://weibo.com/em3w
看什么看,说的就是你,不服气来挑铁拳

主题

帖子

5万

积分

圣殿骑士

积分
QQ
发表于 2008-2-9 17:01:19 | 显示全部楼层
How thrilling ~ Thank you !
M 4 Michael , 4 love & embrace ~~

主题

帖子

积分

MJJCN参议员

北斗神拳第七代传人

积分
QQ
发表于 2008-2-9 17:05:39 | 显示全部楼层
轰动全球呐..... 嘿嘿

主题

帖子

2万

积分

王者传奇

积分
QQ
发表于 2008-2-9 18:49:29 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢整理 、 一目了然、~:dj
2012.12.12 世界末日

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-9 19:09:21 | 显示全部楼层

IGN的评论

http://uk.music.ign.com/articles/850/850483p1.html Michael Jackson - Thriller 25th Anniversary Ed. Jackson's classic gets re-released, complete with new cuts from Akon, Fergie and Will.I.Am. But is it still thrilling? by Todd Gilchrist 6.5分/总分10分 (总的观点:新混音曲不值得花钱,老歌虽然经典但发行过无数版本了) US, February 7, 2008 - There are few perfect albums, but Thriller is one of them. At just nine songs, there's not an ounce of fat on Michael Jackson's follow-up to Off the Wall, offering ballads, dance tunes, seduction songs and duets. Recently reissued with seven extra tracks to commemorate the 25th anniversary of its release, the short but spectacular disc is being reintroduced to a generation of fans who best know it primarily through the formulas it created and modern artists like Justin Timberlake and Beyonce borrowed to cement their own careers; but re-filtered through contemporary production styles and the collaborations/ performances of the likes of Fergie, Akon and Will.I.Am, Thriller unfortunately sounds far less thrilling now than it did a quarter of a century ago. The original nine songs are timeless and perfect, with the possible exception of "The Girl Is Mine;" album cuts like "The Lady In My Life" and "Baby Be Mine" now stand easily alongside more visible hits like "Beat It" and "Thriller" with equally satisfying complexity and razor-sharp refinement. Mind you, nothing on here is capital-A art; Jackson's always been a consummate entertainer, and he and collaborators Rod Temperton and Quincy Jones are interested in no less than a complete overthrow of the pop music that preceded its release.
But returning to "Human Nature," "P.Y.T." and especially "Billie Jean" 25 years later, all of the disparate elements work even better than they did before, even if it's mostly because most r&b today sucks, and in comparison, the songs from Thriller feel like a master-class dissertation on what defines musical greatness. (Although, to be fair, the album's predecessor Off the Wall is musically superior and more artistically rewarding.) Of the seven "new" tracks on the 25th Anniversary Edition, only one is a true Jackson original, an unreleased track called "For All Time." Perhaps as much because of its also-ran status among the Thriller classics as its relentlessly treacly lyrics, the song seems to presage future ballads like "We Are the World" and "Heal the World" rather than stand up as any kind of lost gem or love ballad. The song is also the only one that did not appear on the 2001 expanded edition, presumably for the very reason that Sony could later include it as an outtake or rarity for future re-release. The same can't be said about track Ten on the disc, a snippet of additional narration by Vincent Price for another verse of his "Thriller" rap; while this is certainly welcome material for completists, it's unlikely that those same fans didn't buy the superior 2001 edition, especially since it includes track-by-track interview footage with Rod Temperton and Quincy Jones.
Meanwhile, Will.I.Am handles the lion's share of the producing duties on the remakes and remixes that end the disc, and his efforts speak directly to the sorry state of modern r&b. Admittedly it was probably a smart move on Jackson's part to enlist such a successful artist to help reintroduce his work to a new generation of listeners, but Will.I.Am doesn't have the reverence for the original material - much less for the integrity of truly timeless pop music - to truly assemble a top-notch collection of covers that bridge the gap between 1982 and today. I suppose what's good about these versions is that Jackson seems to have fully participated in most of them, offering new interpretations of familiar lyrics and hazy vocal harmonies that are distinctly his own, but that unfortunately sort of also makes him complicit in bastardizing his own classics. Cutting Paul McCartney out of "The Girl Is Mine" is Will's first offense, made more egregious by the rapper inserting his own atonal vocal presence in the former Beatle's place; but when on "PYT 2008," he undermines what starts out as a really beautiful, catchy arrangement of the song with a rap verse that starts with "let me be your sex machine," turning what was originally an invigorating, subtle seduction song into a crass Black Eyed Peas song - albeit with better singing. And while I personally can't stand the synth-singing of folks like T-Pain and Akon - seriously, do they even have real voices? - it's a toss-up which is worse: his redux of "Wanna Be Startin' Something" that features almost none of Jackson's original vocals, or Fergie's duet version of "Beat It," which thankfully retains Eddie Van Halen's incendiary guitar solo but otherwise holds the dubious honor of making Jackson seem masculine for once, and only in the context of Fergie's tough-by-way-of-Kids Incorporated interpretation of the tune.
At the same time, Kanye West's decelerated, string-laden remix of "Billie Jean" is the best of the new bunch, and actually a pretty great track; which it almost overplays the track's originally understated drama, his additions enhance the song and demonstrate that in a contemporary context - and more importantly, with the right producer, Jackson could easily continue to be a successful pop artist. (I'm also reminded of a white-label remix of 2001's "Rock Your World" featuring Jay-Z, which also indicates he could comfortably share the microphone with rappers if the circumstances and collaboration is right.) But overall, I'm reluctant to recommend the Thriller 25th Anniversary Edition because (1), with one exception, the new tracks aren't worth the extra cash, and (2) the 2001 reissue features remastered sound as well as interview material with the folks who made the album's magic possible. Ultimately, Thriller is an undeniable classic, a great pop album that in the best ways transcends boundaries or genre, race or even time; but this 25th anniversary disc less celebrates those facts than highlights the difference between when it was first released and now.
Definitely Download: "Wanna Be Startin' Something" "Baby Be Mine" "Thriller" "Beat It" "Billie Jean" "Human Nature" "PYT (Pretty Young Thing)" "The Lady In My Life" "Billie Jean 2008 (Kanye West Mix)"

主题

帖子

12万

积分

圣殿骑士

积分
发表于 2008-2-9 19:44:58 | 显示全部楼层
不错呀,看过MJ的轰动效应真厉害呀

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-10 09:34:56 | 显示全部楼层

Entertainment Weekly review on "Thriller" and its remixes

Can't Beat It Though a flawed masterwork, Jackson's seminal album is still a Thriller 25 years later. By Ken Tucker By now, it's simply assumed that Michael Jackson's Thriller is some kind of masterpiece, its legacy sullied only by the private-life shenanigans-or-worse of its principal creator. But Epic/Legacy's release of a 25th-anniversary edition of Thriller - tricked out with five remixes, an unreleased track and a DVD - is a good time to place this creation in its proper art-historical context. When it was released in November 1982, Thriller initially seemed like an extension of 1979's Off the Wall. Here was another solo album from a young man trying to gracefully separate himself from the family act that made him a star, produced once again by Quincy Jones, as a mixture of hits-plus-filler that characterized the then-dominant pop music delivery system: the LP. It soon became apparent however that Thriller was something unique. Its first single, the goofy-sweet "The Girl is Mine", was a safe choice, btu the second single, "Billie Jean", exploded everything around it. Its driving funk beat and atypically aggressive, fascinatingly obscure lyrics - which found Michael vehemently denying some woman was his lover - lent "Billie Jean" an urgency that only became more intense when Jackson used it on the March 1983 TV special Motown 25 to unveil his signature dance moves, including the moonwalk. That performance is included here on DVD, plus the three long-form music videos for "Billie Jean", "Beat It", and "Thriller". The shock and awe that a human being could inspire navigating a stage with such effortless yet almost supernatural command (not for nothing did legends Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly congratulate Michael on his dancing) vaulted Jackson and Thriller to a new level of prominence. Songs such as "Beat It", with its stinging hard-rock guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen, and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", instantly one of the greatest party songs ever, were no-brainer hits, but Michael's sudden pop culture pervasiveness carried even a weaker song like "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" into the top 10. Here's the thing: Thriller isn't a perfect creation. Quick, can you hum "The Lady in My Life", the album's hookless closer? Didn't think so. The core of Thriller's music was executed by members of Toto, the ultimate L.A. session-hack band (remember their hits "Hold the Line" and "Africa"?), in arrangements that sometimes required Michael's masterfully expressive vocals to mask their mere slickness. And if you ignore the hype and look around at other 1982 releases, Thriller is arguably not even the most-sustained quality album of that year: I could make strong arguments for George Clinton's Computer Games (come on, "Atomic Dog" alone influenced more hip-hop than any Michael song ever did), Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, and yes, Marshall Crenshaw. Largely due to its staggering business figures - more than 100 million copies sold - its longtime "world's best-selling album" tag, and media domination, Thriller transcended mere musical achievement. In a way that is unthinkable now in a landscape that doesn't view the album as its primary medium of expression, Thriller was a collection of songs that cohered as the statement of a young artist proclaiming his freedom, a boy grown into manhood as a compleat entertainer - singer, songwriter, performer. (Director John Landis brought out the best in Michael's rebellious angry side in the "Thriller" video.) The thing to celebrate about Thriller's 25th anniversary release is the pleasure still to be taken from its best songs, and the opportunity to, for at least a few moments, put aside all the tabloid controversy that has since engulfed an undeniably gifted artist. Because, to paraphrase one of the album's lyrics, when it comes to Jackson's Thriller phenomenon, tenderoni you've got to be. ...And the not-so-thrilling extras "The Girl is Mine 2008" -A remix with will.i.am, who raps, "She like the way I rock." Over and over. D+ "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008" -Will.i.am again, remixing the drum parts to update yet dilute the original's already slim charms. D "Beat It 2008" -Oh, good Lord - few things suggest how out of touch Michael and his advisers have become than enlisting Fergie to caterwaul in the background. Still upstaged by Eddie Van Halen's for-the-ages guitar solo. D "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008" -Akon doing his best to complement Jackson's vocal, and as such, a bit of unexpectedly charming modesty sells this remix. B "Billie Jean 2008" -Did guest Kanye West think Jackson's greatest Thriller achievement would be helped by remixing some leftover "Golddigger" stutter-beats and sluggishly rapping "Yeah, unh, unh" a few times? Really, Kanye... D "For All Time" -A previously unreleased Thriller-session song, this pretty ballad is sung in Jackson's pensive "Ben"-era tenor. B - KT

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-10 18:48:48 | 显示全部楼层

The return of Michael Jackson's Thriller

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/302097 If superstar has one achievement that should be able to withstand even a thousand tabloid assaults, it’s the biggest-selling album of all-time Feb 10, 2008 04:30 AM As the folks at The Guinness Book of World Records remind us each year, that album – getting an expanded, all-star-assisted re-release this week – remains the biggest-selling of all-time, with some 52 million copies moved worldwide since its release on Dec. 1, 1982. But Thriller and its trailblazing early-MTV video clips for "Beat It," "Billie Jean" and the title track also established a then only slightly wacko Jacko as an all-pervasive pop-culture presence. For a couple of years, he was simply everywhere. He's remained everywhere for most of the 25 years since, of course, although for someone who has always so clearly relished the spark of flashbulbs and the spotlight's glare, Jackson has spent the past three of them skulking about places like Dubai and Las Vegas in relative obscurity. Who can blame him, really? His public appearances are merely cues for renewed, horrified discussion of his mutilated facial features. And regardless of the "not guilty" verdict at his 2005 child-molestation trial, there's a huge segment of the public that views Jackson as a freak with a penchant for young boys. Let's not forget the baby-dangling faux pas in Berlin in 2002, either. Not the sort of attention you want. The present-day consensus finds Jackson "a creepy symbol of the afflictive nature of fame," as Newsweek put it last December. Thus, either of his own volition or at the behest of Sony Music – which didn't quite see the returns it had expected after spending an estimated $55 million (U.S.) to make and market Jackson's underperforming 2001 CD, Invincible – Jackson has now turned to the one truly indelible artifact from his past as the linchpin for another comeback attempt. This Tuesday sees the release of Thriller 25, an expanded CD/DVD package that pads the original, nine-track album with some leftovers from those 1982 sessions; new versions of tunes like "P.Y.T.," "The Girl is Mine" and "Billie Jean" cooked up by will.i.am, Akon and Kanye West; and the truly awesome "Beat It," "Billie Jean" and "Thriller" videos. Oh, and a "personal greeting" to Jackson's fans "penned exclusively for this special release." To hype the re-release, someone's been seeding the rumour mill with speculation that Jackson will turn up at tonight's Grammy Awards ceremony – the album's being inducted into the Hall of Fame – although early whisperings that he would be performing on the show have been cautiously downgraded to the threat of a simple appearance, maybe even a speaking one. Likewise, while another rumoured appearance at last Sunday's Super Bowl never materialized, the broadcast did premiere a commercial for Pepsi's SoBe Life Water featuring Naomi Campbell and a troupe of agile, animated lizards getting down to "Thriller." Brother Jermaine Jackson also dropped hints late last year of a possible Jackson 5 reunion tour to go down this summer. Something's brewing, then. But if Jackson is gunning to get back his self-anointed King of Pop title, he's doing it by invoking the days when he actually was. "Why not use Thriller?" says Toronto R&B songstress Jully Black. "That's how big Thriller was and is, still. It's something that was big enough that it can be used as a relaunch today. Why not take advantage of that?" As the youngest of nine children, Black remembers that album as a "family thing," having a profound effect on all of her siblings. The spooky, 13-minute video for "Thriller" was particularly captivating, too, and Black quite rightly credits Jackson's rubbery dance moves in that video and its companions with setting the standard for nearly all MTV choreography to follow. "I think it was ahead of its time. Musically, you hear so much stuff today that, on a production level, is just missing that `it' factor. I mean, Thriller, that was it," she says, hopeful that the record's renewed celebration will at least rehabilitate Jackson's musical record. "It's something that can bridge the gap between generations. It's like having Prince at the Super Bowl last year or Tom Petty this year – you just realize the greats are always gonna be great." The embarrassing Paul McCartney duet "The Girl is Mine" notwithstanding, it's true that the sleek, danceable R&B jams and drippy ballads consciously cooked up as ideal pop-crossover material by Jackson and producer Quincy Jones – in a mere eight weeks of sessions stolen after Jones finished up a Donna Summer album – have lost little of their sparkle after a quarter-century. Admittedly, it's a little more calculated than Jackson's previous album, 1979's seven-million-selling Off the Wall, but Jackson's thirst for hits is still tempered with a pop innocence and an ear for almost subliminally effective dance beats that would begin to go missing on 1987's Bad and were completely bled dry from the commercial-R&B robotics of Invincible. "Thriller is the best pop R&B album ever. Easily," says London, Ont.-bred rapper Shad. "It's the most danceable album ever, the best video ever. I can tell you at least four conversations I've had in the last month that were basically laughing at how huge that album is. "The amount of times new R&B artists like Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown and Usher reference `Billie Jean' in their own performances just shows that it's still the standard ... Especially with the way the music industry is going now, I don't think there will ever be an album that just takes over the world to that extent, it's pretty safe to say. Pop perfection." And Thriller did indeed take over the world in a manner few albums do; by 1984 Time magazine was filling its cover with a portrait of Jacko, by Andy Warhol, no less. The disc appealed to audiences all across the Western world, Asia and Africa; growing up in the West African city of Accra, Ghana, for instance, Hamilton-based rapper, poet and songwriter Kae Sun remembers seeing many of his peers dressing like Michael Jackson and "trying to dance like him. "The production was really cutting edge and it breaks a lot of rules," muses Kae Sun. "You can't really put it into one genre, and that's one thing I do admire about Michael Jackson. He's taking from all over the musical spectrum." By hitching his latest comeback bid to Thriller, Jackson is perhaps finally conceding that he'll never come up with anything to top it, creatively or financially. This might actually be healthy, since there's a common school of thought that blames Thriller's mega-success and Jackson's subsequent, almost pathological need to top it with not just the overly laboured musical output that would follow, but also the singer's dubious psychological state. He would do well, in fact, to heed the words of Quincy Jones in a recent Billboard: "I don't think anything like Thriller will ever happen again. Being involved in a record like that is a major, major gift from God." See Ben Rayner's full review of Thriller 25 in Tuesday's Star. It's too high to get over Five disciplines Thriller left forever changed: Music video. The gang-dance throwdown in "Beat It," those glowing sidewalks in "Billie Jean" and, most of all, the 13-minute werewolf-and-zombie creep-out that was the "Thriller" mini-movie were all iconic realizations of the MTV era's potential. Suddenly, everyone else had to aim higher with their clips. As rapper Shad notes (quoting his sister's fiancée): "I don't know how you could make a list of videos and not put `Thriller' at No. 1. It just means you don't know what you're talking about." Dance. Jackson's sinewy, street-conscious hot stepping redefined the relationship between pop music and choreography. Sister Janet took up the cause, but the likes of Justin Timberlake and Usher wouldn't move quite so smoothly today without Jacko's kinetic template. Fashion. Somehow, the man inspired otherwise right-thinking people to sport single, sequined white gloves, ill-fitting suits that exposed white socks and those dreadful, red-and-black leather "V" jackets that briefly became the rage (the latter now being lampooned in a Diet Pepsi commercial). Timberlake still digs Michael's natty hats, too. R&B production. The state-of-the-art, dance-conscious sheen Quincy Jones brought to Thriller set the tone for every technologically astute slab of high-end modern R&B we hear today, from Timbaland and the Neptunes on down. Everything since sounds a lot more expensive. Tabloid exposure. Insiders such as former Sony president Walter Yetnikoff have long claimed Jackson cultivated his "weirdo" image. The hyperbaric chamber, Bubbles the Chimp and the Elephant Man's bones were all part of a grand plan, it seems. Although, as Britney Spears has taught us, you can only play the tab-freak game for so long before life starts imitating art. - Ben Rayner

主题

帖子

1万

积分

MJJCN参议员

积分

特别贡献奖

发表于 2008-2-10 19:06:40 | 显示全部楼层
AMG 这次给周年专辑四颗星半 http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gjfoxzlhldje

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2008-2-11 07:58:02 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 dalehsiang 于 2008-2-10 19:06 发表 AMG 这次给周年专辑四颗星半 http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gjfoxzlhldje
他们以前给的五星 现在给四星是针对那些混音来的
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入MJJCN

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|迈克尔杰克逊中文网(Michael Jackson Chinese Fanclub)[官方认证歌迷站] ( 桂ICP备18010620号-7 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 01:20